The Federal Constitutional Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition seeking to lift the nationwide ban on gutka, reinforcing public health safeguards.
According to the details, Justice Hasan Azhar Rizvi highlighted the severe risks posed by this chewable product made from betel nut.
During the hearing, the judge said gutka is more harmful than cigarettes and is a leading cause of oral cancer.
Hospitals are increasingly treating patients suffering from illnesses linked directly to its consumption.
The petitioner’s lawyer, Shah Khawar, told the court he had not received instructions from his client regarding the appeal.
Justice Rizvi noted that the court could summon the petitioner if necessary and even demonstrate gutka’s health hazards in court.
The ruling confirms that gutka remains prohibited, highlighting the firm commitment of the government safeguarding public health across the country.
Read More: PIMS Achieves Milestone with Advanced Robotic Surgery
Authorities also stated that strict enforcement measures will continue in major cities to prevent consumption and illegal distribution of gutka.
Earlier this year, a Station House Officer in Karachi was suspended over allegations of demanding a bribe from the gutka mafia during a raid.
The suspension followed the circulation of an audio clip reportedly capturing the officer soliciting illegal payments.
The incident occurred after police arrested several suspects, including Imran, Zeeshan, Osama and Faisal, during a raid on a gutka factory.
Media reports claim the mafia attempted to negotiate the release of these individuals through corrupt channels.
Additional Inspector General Karachi, Javed Alam Odh, took immediate action, suspending the officer involved and launching an internal investigation.
Officials emphasized that such corruption undermines law enforcement and poses risks to public health initiatives.
